The 1st Coventry (Allesley Village) Air Scout Group was formed in 2006 when the 43rd Coventry Air Scout Group and the 54th Coventry Scout Group merged. 54th was based in our Allesley HQ and had Cubs but no Scouts and needed help to renovate its tired, old hut. The 43rd were based at Earlsdon Methodist church, where the group was first formed in 1932. The two groups merged and together and made the hut useable, the Scouts finally moved to their new home in September 2003. In 2005 the 43rd Cubs and Beavers who remained at the Earlsdon Methodist Church closed, so in 2006 it was decided that the groups would merge and we became the 1st Coventry (Allesley Village) Scout Group. The original 1st Coventry met behind the Toll Gate Pub on Allesley Old Road, but closed in around 1927, so we are continuing on their good name.
Our hall was built in around 1942 as a war time catering facility supporting the home front protecting the Browns Lane shadow factory that preceeded the Jaguar Plant war time production. On the corner of Butts Lane & Browns Lane was an anti-aircraft gun position. In the coppice there is the foundations of the old air raid shelter. The acre land from Washbrook Lane up to the top of the coppice behind The Windmill Hill was bequeathed to the scouts in 1965 by Coventry Lord Mayor Harry Weston. The Scout Association own the land and we maintain it on their behalf.
However by 2002 the hut was nearly derelict. Funding was gained for a new roof and heating system and every year we have delivered major improvements to the hut and it’s land, and continue to do so.
We currently have over 80 young people aged 5¾ to 14 years.